Responsible Appliance Disposal
Give your old appliance a new life.
PPL Electric Utilities is proud to partner with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD) program. As part of our mission to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and ozone-depleting substances, we pick up and deliver old appliances to a facility that uses state-of-the-art technology to safely recover approximately 95 percent of materials.
From there, the recovered materials can be recycled to find new life in railroad cars, cement products, motorcycle parts, fan motors, computers and other useful products.
Benefits of recycling:
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions and protects the ozone layer
- Properly disposes of chemicals that can lead to harmful health effects
- Keeps hazardous materials out of landfills
- Saves energy and lowers electricity costs
Since joining RAD in 2017, PPL has helped responsibly dispose of:
- 28,913 refrigerators
- 7,089 standalone freezers
- 5,280 room air conditioners
- 2,597 dehumidifiers
…saving PPL customers over $49.8 million in energy costs.