Investing in efficient, new homes locally
We are partnering with select builders who want to offer higher performing homes.
These homes satisfy the Department of Energy Zero Energy Ready Home certification, one of the most rigorous home certification standards available.
How do high-performance homes provide value?
- New homes built to certifications above code have additional value, such as greater comfort, cleaner air, quieter, lower energy use, and lower utility bills.
- Energy-saving features such as extra insulation, air-tight construction, high efficiency heating, cooling, appliances, lighting are standard on all high-performance homes.
- Positioning the home to capture heat and power from the sun is a key step for highly efficient homes. This positioning also enables the addition of solar panels to offset energy usage.
Let’s show Pennsylvania that homes can be more comfortable, healthier, efficient, and environmentally sensitive.
New home certification basics: efficiency is a spectrum.
When you shop for a new home, remember that not all homes are created equal. Building codes only establish minimums for health, safety, and durability. There are many steps that builders can take to build better than code.
The four model homes in this pilot are being built to the Zero Energy Ready standard. They will be 10-20% more efficient than a code house. They will also have systems to create healthier indoor air.
Here’s an overview of different energy efficiency standards:
1. Basic homes are required to be built to code.
2. ENERGY STAR® certified homes are 10-20% more efficient than code homes.
3. Zero Energy Ready Homes are even more efficient and offer better indoor air quality and water conservation.
4. Passive Homes are generally the most energy efficient homes available without solar.
5. Net Zero Homes are a step above Zero Energy Ready or Passive Homes and add enough renewable power to “zero-out” annual energy costs.
We are proud to work with the following builders. Click a builder's name to jump to their project details:
- Alden Homes (Mount Joy, PA)
- R. W. Buff Construction (Buck Hills Falls, PA)
- McNaughton Homes (Harrisburg, PA)
Model Home #1 — Alden Homes
- Website: aldenhomes.com
- Contact: [email protected]
- Handout: download PDF
- Webinar: click here to watch
Model Home #2 — R.W. Buff Construction
Model Home #3 — McNaughton Homes
- Website: mcnaughtonhomes.com
- Contact: Emilie Brown at [email protected] or (717) 775-4368
- Coming soon: handout, video
Learn more: webinars and tours
As an outcome of this pilot, the new homes will be open for a limited number of tours and promoted through a series of webinars. Both will be announced on this webpage as they are scheduled.
Zero Energy Ready Homes Webinar (Featuring McNaughton Homes) on Wednesday, October 11
Shopping for a new home?
Ask the builder what advanced certification the home has achieved. To learn more, connect with our current builder partners or visit our New Homes Program page. You can also reach us by phone at (844) 567-2236.